Daily Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices of the Federal Government
* OMB Control Number: None
* Type of Request: New Collection
* Originating Office: Department of State, Bureau of Consular Affairs
* Form Number: DS-261
* Respondents: Aliens applying for immigrant visas
* Estimated Number of Respondents: 700,000
* Estimated Number of Responses: 700,000
* Average Hours per Response: 10 minutes
* Total Estimated Burden: 166,666 hrs. per year
* Frequency: Once per respondent
* Obligation to Respond: Required to Obtain or Retain Benefit
* Mail (paper, disk, or CD-ROM submissions): Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, Office of
* Fax: 202-395-6974
We are soliciting public comments to permit the Department to:
• Evaluate whether the proposed information collection is necessary to properly perform our functions.
• Evaluate the accuracy of our estimate of the burden of the proposed collection, including the validity of the methodology and assumptions used.
• Enhance the quality, utility, and clarity of the information to be collected.
• Minimize the reporting burden on those who are to respond.
The DS-261 allows the beneficiary of an approved and current immigrant visa petition to provide the Department with his or her current address, which will be used for communications with the beneficiary. The DS-261 also allows the beneficiary to appoint an agent to receive mailings from the National Visa Center (NVC) and assist in the filing of various application forms and/or paying the required fees. The beneficiary is not required to appoint an agent but must provide current contact information. All cases will be held at NVC until the DS-261 is electronically submitted to the Department. If the form is not electronically submitted to the Department within one year, NVC will begin the case termination process.
The DS-261 will be submitted electronically to the Department via the internet. Respondents who submit the electronic form will no longer submit paper-based forms to the Department.