Daily Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices of the Federal Government
Notice is hereby given that, pursuant to 39 U.S.C. 404(d), on August 30, 2011, the Commission received a petition for review of the Postal Service's determination to close the Velpen post office in Velpen, Indiana. The petition was filed by Karen Brown (Petitioner) and is postmarked August 20, 2011. The Commission hereby institutes a proceeding under 39 U.S.C. 404(d)(5) and establishes Docket No. A2011-59 to consider Petitioner's appeal. If Petitioner would like to further explain her position with supplemental information or facts, Petitioner may either file a Participant Statement on PRC Form 61 or file a brief with the Commission no later than October 4, 2011.
After the Postal Service files the administrative record and the Commission reviews it, the Commission may find that there are more legal issues than the one set forth above, or that the Postal Service's determination disposes of one or more of those issues. The deadline for the Postal Service to file the applicable administrative record with the Commission is September 14, 2011.
The appeal and all related documents are also available for public inspection in the Commission's docket section. Docket section hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., eastern time, Monday through Friday, except on Federal government holidays. Docket section personnel may be contacted via electronic mail at
The Commission reserves the right to redact personal information which may infringe on an individual's privacy rights from documents filed in this proceeding.
1. The Postal Service shall file the applicable administrative record regarding this appeal no later than September 14, 2011.
2. Any responsive pleading by the Postal Service to this Notice is due no later than September 14, 2011.
3. The procedural schedule listed below is hereby adopted.
4. Pursuant to 39 U.S.C. 505, Cassandra L. Hicks is designated officer of the Commission (Public Representative) to represent the interests of the general public.
5. The Secretary shall arrange for publication of this notice and order in the
By the Commission.