Daily Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices of the Federal Government
November 19, 2012: Deadline for filing pre-hearing briefs and statements.
November 29, 2012: Public hearing.
December 17, 2012: Deadline for filing post-hearing briefs and statements.
March 1, 2013: Deadline for filing all other written submissions.
June 28, 2013: Transmittal of Commission report to USTR.
Background: In his letter the USTR requested that the Commission prepare two reports, one on environmental and related services, and a second on renewable energy and related services, and deliver the reports in 8 and 11 months, respectively, after receipt of the letter. This notice announces the institution of an investigation and schedule, including the date for a public hearing, relating to the preparation of the second report, on renewable energy and related services; the Commission published notice of the institution of the first investigation, No. 332-533,
As requested by the USTR, the Commission will provide a report on renewable energy and related services that, to the extent practicable:
* Defines types of renewable energy and related services, identifies leading suppliers, and generally describes the relationship of renewable energy services to the development of renewable energy projects worldwide;
* Estimates the size of the U.S. and global markets for certain renewable energy services, identifies key export and import markets for such services, and describes factors affecting supply and demand;
* Examines U.S. and global renewable energy services trade during 2007-11, and highlights recent trends in investment in renewable energy projects and firms, including new business strategies or practices;
* Identifies barriers to U.S. trade and investment in renewable energy services, and examines recent efforts to liberalize trade in leading markets for such services; and
* Examines the role of clean energy incentive programs in encouraging investment in and creating markets for renewable energy goods and services.
As requested by the USTR, the report will focus on services incidental to the development, generation, and distribution of renewable energy, with particular emphasis on wind energy (onshore and offshore) and solar energy, and other technologies that the Commission's research shows to be of significance. The USTR defined such services to include scientific and technical consulting, services incidental to energy distribution, professional services, construction and engineering services, management consulting and related services, and maintenance and repair of equipment, among others.
As requested, the Commission expects to deliver this second report to the USTR no later than June 28, 2013.
Any submissions that contain confidential business information (CBI) must also conform with the requirements in section 201.6 of the
In the request letter, the USTR stated that his office intends to make the Commission's report available to the public in its entirety, and asked that the Commission not include any confidential business information or national security classified information in the report. Any confidential business information received by the Commission in this investigation and used in preparing this report will not be published in a manner that would reveal the operations of the firm supplying the information.
By order of the Commission.