Daily Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices of the Federal Government
The Department, through the Office of the Assistant Secretary—Indian Affairs, intends to develop a policy to strengthen the protection of sacred sites on Federal lands. For many years the Department has received input on sacred sites and to that end, the Department is seeking specific input on, but not limited to, the following topics regarding sacred sites:
• Meanings of sacred sites and whether the Departments should attempt to define the term “sacred site” more definitively;
• Recognized leaders of tribal government and tribal spiritual leaders who should be included in the Department's determination of whether a site is considered “sacred” by a tribe.
• Cultural and social views of existing Departmental practices or policies that should be revised to protect sacred sites and steps necessary to make appropriate revisions;
• Development of potential Departmental practices or policies to protect sacred sites;
• How the Department should facilitate tribal access to tribally provided information regarding sacred sites.
The tribal listening session will be held at the following date and location. Please arrive early to allow time for security clearance and bring identification: