Daily Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices of the Federal Government
Notice is hereby given that the FHWA and other Federal Agencies have taken final agency actions by issuing approvals for the following highway project in the State of New York: Tappan Zee Hudson River Crossing Project, which crosses the Hudson River between the Village of South Nyack in Rockland County on the west and the Village of Tarrytown in Westchester County on the east. The bridge carries Interstate 87 (New York State Thruway) and Interstate 287. The Tappan Zee Hudson River Project involves the replacement of the existing bridge with two new structures (one each for eastbound and westbound traffic), to the north of its existing location. The actions by the Federal agencies, and the laws under which such actions were taken, are described in the Final Environmental Impact Statement (FEIS) for the project, approved on July 27, 2012, in the FHWA Record of Decision (ROD) issued on September 25, 2012, and in other documents in the FHWA administrative record. The FEIS, ROD, and other documents in the FHWA administrative record file are available by contacting the FHWA, the NYSDOT, or the NYSTA at the addresses provided above. The FHWA FEIS and ROD can be viewed and downloaded from the project Web site at
This notice applies to all Federal agency decisions as of the issuance date of this notice and all laws under which such actions were taken, including but not limited to:
1. General: National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) [42 USC 4321-4351]; Federal-Aid Highway Act [23 U.S.C. 109].
2. Air: Clean Air Act, 42 U.S.C. 7401-7671(q) (Transportation Conformity).
3. Land: Section 4(f) of the Department of Transportation Act of 1966 [49 U.S.C. 303].
4. Wildlife: Endangered Species Act [16 U.S.C. 1531-1544 and Section 1536], Marine Mammal Protection Act [16 U.S.C. 1361], Fish and Wildlife Coordination Act [16 U.S.C. 661-667(d)], Migratory Bird Treaty Act [16 U.S.C. 703-712], Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1976, as amended [16 U.S.C. 1801 et seq.].
5. Historic and Cultural Resources: Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, as amended [16 U.S.C. 470(f) et seq.].
6. Social and Economic: Civil Rights Act of 1964 [42 U.S.C. 2000(d)-2000(d)(1)].
7. Water Resources: Coastal Zone Management Act, 16 U.S.C. 1451-1465.
8. Executive Orders: E.O. 11990 Protection of Wetlands; E.O. 11988 Floodplain Management; E.O. 12898, Federal Actions to Address Environmental Justice in Minority Populations and Low Income Populations; E.O. 13175 Consultation and Coordination with Indian Tribal Governments.
23 U.S.C. 39(l)(1), as amended by Moving Ahead for Progress in the 21st Century Act (MAP-21), Pub. L. 112-141, § 1308, 126 Stat. 405 (2012).