Daily Rules, Proposed Rules, and Notices of the Federal Government
To facilitate public participation, we are inviting public comment on the issues to be considered by the Committee as listed in the "Agenda" section below. Written comments must
* Federal Rulemaking Portal:
* Mail: Docket Management Facility (M-30), U.S. Department of Transportation, West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New Jersey Avenue SE., Washington, DC 20590-0001. We encourage use of electronic submissions to minimize mail security screening delays.
* Fax: 202-493-2251.
* Hand delivery: Same as mail address above, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays. The telephone number is 202-366-9329.
* To avoid duplication, please use only one of these methods.
Instructions: All submissions received must include the words "Department of Homeland Security" and the docket number of this action. All comments will be posted as submitted at
Notice of this meeting is given under the
The Subcommittees will meet on March 25, 2015, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., to work on their specific task assignments:
(1) Recommendations Regarding Automation Equipment, Testing, Assessment, and Trial Periods on Towing Vessels.
(2) Recommendations for the Maintenance, Repair, and Utilization of Towing Equipment, Lines, and Couplings.
(3) Recommendations concerning procedures for conducting drug tests on board towing vessels.
(4) Recommendations for Improvement of Coast Guard Marine Casualty Reporting.
(5) Recommendations to Establish Criteria for Identification of Air Draft for Towing Vessels and Tows.
(6) Recommendations concerning the MODU KULLUK Report of Investigation.
On March 26, 2015, from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., the Towing Safety Advisory Committee will meet to hear remarks by:
(1) Captain Richard Timme, USCG, Commander, Sector Ohio River Valley.
(2) Ms. Helen Brohl, Director, U.S. Committee on the Maritime Transportation System, U.S. Department of Transportation.
The Committee will also receive reports concerning the following:
(1) Recommendations Regarding Automation Equipment, Testing, Assessment, and Trial Periods on Towing Vessels, Initial Report.
(2) Recommendations for the Maintenance, Repair and Utilization of Towing Equipment, Lines and Couplings, Interim Report.
(3) Recommendations for Drug Testing Procedures on board Towing Vessels, Initial Report.
(4) Recommendations for Improvement of Coast Guard Marine Casualty Reporting, Final Report.
(5) Recommendation to Establish Criteria for Identification of Air Draft for Towing Vessels and Tows, Interim Report.
(6) Recommendations concerning the MODU KULLUK Report of Investigation, Interim Report.
There will be a comment period for Towing Safety Advisory Committee members and a comment period for the public after each report presentation, but before each is voted on by the Committee. The Committee will review the information presented on each issue, deliberate on any recommendations presented in the Subcommittees' reports, and formulate recommendations for the Department's consideration.
A copy of each draft report and presentations, and the meeting agenda will be available at:
An opportunity for oral comments by the public will be provided during the meeting on March 26, 2015. Speakers are requested to limit their comments to 3 minutes. Please note the public oral comment period may end before 5:30 p.m., if the Committee has finished its business earlier than scheduled. Please contact Mr. William J. Abernathy, listed above in the
Minutes from the meeting will be available for public review and copying within 90 days following the close of the meeting and can be accessed from the Coast Guard Homeport Web site
To receive automatic email notices of any future Towing Safety Advisory Committee meetings in 2015, go to the online docket, USCG-2014-1053 (